Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Joy of Pain


Cries from all around the world echo out "Why me God!" At this moment, millions upon millions of people are crying out to God in their suffering, wondering why they must suffer. There are many ways this cry is heard by God. Sometimes it is "God, show me you care by taking this suffering away", sometimes it's "God, if your really there, remove this cup from me". Is that how Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane? Not exactly. 

"My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." - Matthew 26: 39

Did Jesus say "My Father, take this cup from me if you really care, but your will be done." No! That kind of statement is wrong. Do you not realize, created being, that the creator died for you? Is that not an adequate statement of love? Who are you, oh man, to say to God "if you really love me, do this"? I'm not talking about a humble request to God that he may show you his love further. I'm saying, if you ask this, expect it may be expressed through further suffering. It may be expressed through joy and prosperity, but there is a chance God will show you how much he cares by putting you through anguish and disaster. "Mike," you say, "that makes so sense! Why would God put us through further suffering to show his love for us? That doesn't sound very loving." Oh, my brother's and sisters, do you not understand that when you experience the anguish of this present age, you are gaining knowledge of how Jesus felt? And in learning how Jesus felt, you become overwhelmed with his great love and the fact that he experienced that suffering for you? I am forced to wonder if the man next to Jesus on the cross knew better than anyone at that moment, how great a love this Jesus of Nazareth had. Why? Because he understood at least the physical suffering Jesus was going through. With that understanding and with the knowledge that this Jesus was still showing love came the desire to be know by Jesus. "Remember me in your Kingdom" the criminal said. Can you imagine this man crying as he pleaded with the Lord of all creation; can you imagine the despair he felt and yet the joy to hear Jesus say in response "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise." With the understanding of the pain Jesus was going through and the knowledge that Jesus was still expressing love came the understanding of the depth of God's love. Suffering's allow us to understand what Jesus went through because he loved us, and than encourages us to go through a similar suffering for him. 

When we suffer, do not ask, "why do I suffer?", ask "why did Jesus suffer?". When we sinfully condemn others because they have caused our suffering, ask "why did Jesus love as he suffered?" Allow your anguish of this present age to shape your view of the great God who has showed his love by suffering, and continues to do so. Allow suffering to shape who you become for Christ. May you rejoice brothers and sisters in times of prosperity, in times of hardship; in times of love, in times of hate; in all times and all seasons, give glory to God. This is truly pleasing to our Father in heaven. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we bring suffering on ourselves and it serves the powerful purpose of bringing us to our knees and helping us see our need and dependency on God. Without suffering many less people would come to God, but I don't believe God brings this suffering on us I think in our shortsighted, selfish pursuits we bring ruin upon ourselves.

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.