Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Discerning Our Desires

Our God is so holy, so full of grace, so full of mercy, so full of love. We wish to understand the depth of Your love Father. For no love is greater than that which You have bore for us. Speak through Your body for the sake of encouragement, discipleship, and firstly, for the glory of God. Allow us to be beacons of light today that shine in the darkness with courage and hope. We love You Father, thank You for accepting our small love we have to offer. In Jesus name, Amen.

Within myself, I contain desires that are holy, and desires that are unholy. A battle rages within me, not only between the holy and the unholy, but between the decision making process of which to follow. I have often chosen to follow what is unholy in my life, only by the grace of God have I ever chosen to follow that which is holy. I am forced to wonder how a child of God is to seperate these desires. By that, I mean how is a child of God supposed to discern which desires within him are holy, and which are unholy?

The role of the Holy Spirit is to convict the world of its' sin, but I'm not necessarily referring to sin my brothers and sisters. I'm referring to those choices we have in life that the Bible says nothing on. Such as, which job should I take, which house should I move to, which bank should I use. I'm talking about those everyday choices that we still need to seek God's guidance on. I believe it was in A.W. Tozer's book that he said "God will never put a desire in your heart which he will not satisfy". As you can see, my child, the problem doesn't lie with merely what should I do, but with, which desire is from God. This is not always an easy thing to discern, for it can be difficult to tell which desires are from God and which are of the flesh. I pray that the body of Christ may be able to discern such a thing with prayer, fasting, and whatever it takes to accomplish the will of God.

I want to urge you, my brothers and sisters, to move forward in your walk with discernment and humility before God. When options arise that require wisdom and the prompting of the Holy Spirit, pray earnestly. Do not sit back, do nothing, and hope that God will say something audibly, it usually doesn't work that way. God wants us to discern these things because when we do, we grow in relationship with our Father and we learn more about his Character and who this great God is. God is not trying to get us angry with him or frustrated with his Word but more in love with him. He desires that, through the discernment process, we will see the Father all the more clearly and understand the grace he has lavished on us. Laziness will cause you to never experience to Father as some others have. Do not sit down and do nothing, for the Holy Spirit is not within you if nothing is taking place. God will work through you if he is in you, if there is no work through you, he isn't in you.

Continue in love and kindness my beloved. Don't let the things of this current world put you down or pervert your judgements made by the council of the Holy Spirit. Be mentored daily by Him as he grows you and matures you as a child of God.

"Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you." - 1 Chronicles 17:2

No comments:

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.