Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Constant Prayer


Our great Father that we desire to know, why have you chosen us as your vessels to represent your glory? For you have loved as we have never deserved; you have bestowed grace as we have been unworthy to receive; you have give joy when our hearts are broken. For what purpose have we been allowed to witness such glory? Oh God, love on our hearts, be in our presence, and let us experience you further. We love you and praise you for all that you are. In Jesus Christ name, Amen. 

I forget constantly. As I walk through a door in my house, I forget why I have gone to that room at all. There is usually a purpose I would go to the room; to get something or do something, and daily, without fail, there is a time when I forget what I was doing. I get frustrated with myself as I forget things throughout my day. I hope that my brothers and sisters have not experienced this to the extent I do. We are all going to experience such forgetfulness in some form because of our humanness. 

However, the thing I desire to remember throughout my life the most is the same things I forget throughout my life the most. That thing is God. Throughout my day, I am consistently forgetting the things of God, forgetting what it means to be a true Christian. I desire to be with God all the time, but I can’t seem to pull it off. I do not do the thing I want to do. Have you experienced this my Child? Do you understand what it’s like to desire something so great and not achieve it? We will fail throughout our life. We will forget God throughout our day. We will forget to think on the things of God and our minds will stray to other things. Oh, how I desire that this wasn’t the case! May we be strengthened by the power of God.

I encourage you, brothers and sisters, to continue all of your life to never forget God. You will not achieve it, but I plead with you, never give up. You may ask “why would I try for something I know I can’t do?” My answer to you is because we are called by our creator to do exactly that. We are called by God to think on the things of God, to meditate on these things. We are called to pray without ceasing. We must always remember that prayer is not only speaking to God, prayer is not only listening to God, prayer is seeking God. Prayer is looking for God and the way he is working, prayer is asking God to work his will for his glory in your life, prayer is thinking on things that are good and holy, prayer is a way of life that is focused on embracing, understanding, and thinking on the things of God. We pray without ceasing by seeking God always, in everything. Oh our God! Where can we see you? How can we dedicate ourselves to you further today? We desire you in our lives.

My beloved, please strive to never think on things that are not of God. Think on things that are holy, things that are righteous, things that are good. For from such thinking comes further understanding of the great God we serve and understanding of how he wills that we should serve him. May we seek him always because we were lost and we are now found by him. God sought us, may we in love and joy and because of the prompting of the Holy Spirit within us, seek God with all of our being that we may understand the loving Father. Man is meant to enjoy God, so lets begin doing so. 

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:17-22

No comments:

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.