Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Listening With Eagerness

Oh, Great Father that hath lavished Your love upon us. What have you found within us that has made us worthy of such a great gift? We do not find ourselves worthy of Your love, but you have granted mercy upon our souls that we may understand who You are and how You love us. We ask for patience, for forgiveness, for mercy, and for joy as we walk through our day today. Be with us, strengthen us, and do not cease to pour Your love out on us. In Jesus name, Amen.

There have been countless times where I have read my Bible out of duty and counting down the minutes till I have finished. If I truly wish to move past the barrier this barrier of reading my Bible with lack of inspiration to reading my Bible with joy and excitement, I usually have to pray before and ask that God will give me grace to understand his Word. I have an intense desire to understand his word, but not the ability to do so. I only understand the word of God by the grace of God.

My brothers and sisters, I daily set aside time for reading and studying the scriptures, but this time means nothing if my heart is not in the right place. I can learn everything there is to learn in the scriptures, I can understand all of it, but if my motivation isn't to know God because I love him, than I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. My desire is to know God, but it isn't always easy to keep focused on this desire. Sometimes, I get off track and have to remind myself the calling God has given me, and then I'm ever so joyful to be reminded of that calling once I have pursued it again.

Friends, do not be stagnant or distracted as you read the Bible. The Bible is the word of God and it is how he reveals himself to us every day. The Bible is how God speaks to us, teaches us, mentors us, and loves us. If you want to hear God speak, go read the scriptures and listen to what God has to say, if you want to be taught by God, go read the scriptures. Too many of our brothers and sisters today have become lazy in there method of listening to God speak. Some have abandoned the scriptures altogether, some have deemed them unreliable, some have turned to prophets and people for the voice of God, but God speaks through the Bible today.

As believers in Christ, we are called to a higher level of scripture reading. Do not be lazy in listening to God, but make a conscious effort to study, hear, and listen to what God has to say to you daily. When you read the scriptures, read until you have began desiring to hear God's voice and you will began to hear him speak through what your reading. In studying and hearing God's voice, you will grow in your faith, in your understanding of who God is, and therefore, in your spiritual maturity. Listen to God and do as he says.

Come to the Bible with excitement to learn about who our savior and Lord is, to further understand the characteristics our God holds. By faith we come, by experience we stay. Understanding comes through eagerness to learn; faith comes from understanding; and spiritual growth comes from faith. God be with you friends. God speak to you this day.

"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." - Acts 17:11

No comments:

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.