Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Resting in God's Hands

Father God, hear we are. Your children, ready to serve, desiring to serve, hoping humbly that you use us to serve. We know that you have granted all of our provisions, our needs, our money, our being. You are the God of all the earth, the great three in one; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We praise you for making us, for calling us "very good." For allowing us salvation and bestowing your love upon our souls. There is nothing above you, none who can out-do you. You are the beginning and end, the alpha and the omega, the first and the last. We love you because you have chosen to love us. In Jesus name, Amen.

I wonder how big God's hands are. I suppose it would make sense that they are infinitely big, but what good does knowing that do for us? We can know that God is infinitely big, we can say "yeah, God is bigger than anything else in the universe" nonchalantly. Do we not realize the magnificence of that proclamation? Do we not realize what the greatness of God means for the whole human race? Are we missing the obvious implications?

If God is bigger than anything in the universe, than he is bigger than all of the galaxies combined, right? Which means he is bigger than the Milky Way (our galaxy), which means he is bigger than our solar system, which means he is bigger than our sun, which means he is bigger than Jupiter, which he is bigger than Earth, which means he is bigger than the United States of America, which means he is bigger than us. This is the conclusion we must run into daily to truly grasp the beginning of understanding God: we small people serve a big God. These two revelations are directly correlated. Once you realize how big God is, you will immediately afterwards realize how little you are.

Why does God love us? Because he has chosen to love us. Why do we love God? Is that a serious question? I don't mean to be facetious, but after realizing how huge God is, doesn't that question seem a little ridiculous. The only response to "why do we love God?" is "why not?" What reasons can we think of for not loving God? I sure can't think of any, except it means I have to give up on sin and actually pursue goodness, which my flesh doesn't want me to do. We praise God because it reminds us of how big he is and of how little we are. Why does God want to remind us that we are little? Because when we realize we are little, we realize God truly is gracious in his love for us. I don't think twice about killing an ant or a spider, but God sacrificed himself for us.

When we are held in the overwhelmingly big hands of God, we know he cares for us. He has picked up his fallen creature with his divine hand, and that means he cares. When I pick something up, it means, in one way or another, I care about it. God saw that we were fallen, and chose through his glorious grace to pick us back up and hold us in his hands. What does it mean to be held in the hands of God? It means that God has cared for you so much that he chose to pick you up, and when you try to jump out of his hand and fall, he will restrain you with his love and care for you to not hurt yourself. That is what the love of God is like.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the he gave is only son so that whoever believes in him may have everlasting life and not perish."

John 10:29 "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."

1 comment:

Marcus Blankenship said...

I love that line, "When I pick something up, it means in one way or another, I care about it." I'm glad God picked me up, and by doing so, showed me he cares about me. This is why I love Him.

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.