Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Do More And More

"Preserve my life, for I am godly; save your servant, who trusts in you - you are my God. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all the day. Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer, listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me." - Psalms 86:1-7

Do you ever feel like your walk with Christ has come to a halt? Like you have stopped learning? Stopped growing? Stopped having purpose? Maybe today is one of those days. Maybe today you feel as though life isn't even worth living. Or maybe today is a good day; you feel as though life is worth living, and worth living to the fullest. Either way, we all have experienced some sort of stagnation in our walk with God. Is this stagnation merely perceived as such or is it an actual loss of spiritual growth?

R.C. Sproul, a famous theologian, would claim that the Christian never stops growing, rather the growth is merely slowed for a short while and we often see such as a complete halt. I have not yet decided whether I agree with Sproul on this point, but I think it is a premise that deserves further thought.

What would you say is the first lifestyle change a person must make after they have made their commitment to Christ? I believe it is to make an effort at refraining from temptations of the flesh. When we live in the flesh, we act of the flesh; but when we live in the spirit, we now must discipline ourselves to act in the spirit. Essentially, I would claim that the first step a Christian takes towards being a Christian is to refrain from sinful actions. But does the journey of the Christian stop there? Is the Christian walk only a walk of "don'ts"? Or is there more to it? What is the next step to take after the Christian has dedicated themselves to abstaining from evil?

The next thing the Christian needs to pursue is good. The Christian walk is not only a walk of "don'ts" but a walk of "do's". We are not only to refrain from temptation, but to fight against it. We are not only to not be involved in great evils, but to interfere. We are not only to stand by, but to stand up. The Christian is not only called to a life of redemption, but a life of righteousness. Let the Christian walk in righteousness: give to the poor, help the needy, love the wounded, persevere in tribulation, and walk in peace.

You may be saying "Mike, what else am I to do? My schedule is booked with helping out in volunteer positions, I help the needy, I refrain from sin. What more is there for me in the Christian walk?" Though I think few Christians will be saying this, I will still tell you what more there is at this point. Listen to Paul first: "Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more" (1 Thessalonians 4:1). Once more, "Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more."

 Do you understand friends? You may feed the needy, feed them more. You may help the wounded, help them more. You may pray often, pray more. You may love much, love more. Someone may be saying "What more is there to love, or to give? I have given everything I have to God." All I can respond is no you have not. Does not the Christian faith rely upon the very foundation that we are sinners and are bound to sin whether under the redemptive power of Christ or not? Do you not realize you are a sinner? For I tell you the truth when I say that you have not perfected your walk with God; there is always more to be done. The moment you believe you have perfected your walk is the same moment you need to realize your filth.

Firstly, abstain from evil, from the desires of the flesh. Secondly, pursue righteousness, hope, love, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, and self-control. Lastly, pursue these things more.

Christ be with you throughout the day and watch over you.

No comments:

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.