Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Death Came For Me


Death held my hand, it led my life, it guided each mistake. Death gave me misery always, but for some reason I could never leave. Like a slave I was in bondage to a master, bidden to always do his deeds. Death guided me to do things I should have never done. Death coerced me to speak his tongue. Like a beggar, I could only plea to be set free from this misery. Death beat me, crushed me, left me with a struggle inside. All I could do was cry. Death guided me, I couldn’t see, I wasn’t even able to breathe. Suddenly something changed. A light shone in the midst of my darkness and You rode in. I can’t explain what I saw. How you glowed, how you shone, you, my Lord, fought for me. You vanquished Death with a mighty blow. The darkness Death cast upon my life slowly began to fade. My knight in shining armor, you rescued me. You ripped me from Death’s embrace and led me to safety. You held my hand and we ran. I cannot describe the feeling of what I saw. All I knew was that somebody finally loved me. You ravaged my heart and made me thine. You sought my embrace and I came to you. For once in my life I felt complete. But I was still lead astray. 

I couldn’t commit when Death returned for me. Like the lover it used to be, it spoke softly outside my window late at night. At first I was able to scoff it away, but I had known Death’s embrace. I felt the lure and forgot your call. Like a fool I left in the night. Death guided me and soon it was like nothing had changed. Memories of your embrace slowly left me. I couldn’t make your love enough. I pushed away. But you didn’t give up on me. You still pursued, for some reason you came after me. A Lord, King of all, came after his wicked queen. The Groom after his bride, you pursued. You wouldn’t let Death keep me. Death guided me to the cliffs of despair and the world went dark. Death’s words, Death’s pull, Death’s call became too much to bear. Right before the end, I heard you scream “no!” You ran and took the bullet I aimed at my heart. You sacrificed yourself to save me! Why Lord why?

Wicked I came, wicked I go. I laid by your tomb for three days and nights when the impossible came. I saw you return to me. You grabbed me in a tight embrace laughing, “didn’t I tell you love? Death has no hold on me!” I danced, I laughed, I cried, you returned for me, your wayward wife. This time I held your hand a little tighter, this time I loved you more, but it wasn’t enough when death came to call. Death came to me in the night. It begged me to return and I couldn’t refuse. I thought of your love, I thought of your death, I thought about our life, but in the end, Death’s call was too much. I left once more. This time I did not expect you to come after me, but you still pursued. You pulled me back from Death’s embrace and whispered in my ear “never will I relent in coming to save you.” Once again, you rescued me when I didn’t know I desperately needed help. Though at times I forget your call I can always expect you to win. You, Lord, my great Lover know me and love me still. I couldn’t ask for anything better than you. You came to my rescue, Death will never win. I am my lover’s, and he is mine. Always will he protect my side. Come be my hero each day. My lover, My friend. 

- Micaila Blankenship

No comments:

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.