Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

God, Sin, and Man Parable.

I had a trip to go on today for my band class at my high school and God gave me a, what seemed to mundane at first, but was in truth, a miraculous experience. It was not actually on the band trip that this experience occured. It occured while I was walking home after me and my band had arrived at school. I was walking home due to lack of my family's ability to pick me up, everyone in my family, at the time, was preoccupied. So, without arguing, I told my dad I would simply walk home (it wasn't that far of a walk anyways). And as I was walking home and I had reached the street I live on, God presented me with an experience, that very well may be with me the rest of my life. I continued walking down my street, and after I had reached just a quarter of the streets length, I saw a crack in the pavement on the road (as you may know, there are cracks all over the roads in Klamath Falls). I obviously have seen plenty of cracks in plenty of roads. But, i'm am honestly not sure why I did what I did next. I walked up to the crack on the other side of the street and stood there for a second on one side of it without crossing over to the other side of the crack. Something in my head told me to think of the crack as God, and I, of course, represented a human. I then went on to imagine that a car (but there was not one there at the time) coming towards me, on the opposite side of the crack, would represent sin. And I thought of this to be somewhat of a pointless thought, because, in this case, the sin would not be able to reach me because God was intervening and would be blocking the sin from reaching me. And since we all sin, this felt somewhat rediculous for the time being. I then continued to walk down my street, not really thinking about what I was just imagining. I saw a rock that looked like it would be fun to kick, so I walked up to it and swung my foot at it, unfortunately, I missed. And after I missed, my foot tumbled and I fell. What I realized right as I was stumbling was that I was on one side of a crack when I had kicked the rock, and I was on the other side of the crack after I had fallen. I realized that if a car (sin) would have been on the other side of that crack, I would have (litterally) fallen into it. After this experience, I realized that it is not so much the sin that bashes through our belief in God and enters into our life, it is us that bashes through our belief in God in order to fall into sin. Perhaps a better example of this (that I also thought of on my walk home) is imagining us (humans) standing on one side of a door (God) and another man (sin) standing on the other side of the same door knocking. Now, the man who represents sin cannot reach us unless we open the door and, in doing so, push God aside and accept that sin enters into our life. Therefore, we are the sinners and God is our defense.

3 comments:

Amy B. said...

I'm kinda glad we couldn't pick you up.

Unknown said...

As i read this mike as a man of utmost curiosity in religion and peoples opinions on this subject, what if as you said the door (representing god) is not there or in other words not felt or percieved, thus we are standing in the face of sin, feeling normal. Saying this as the sin is not so horribly bad, we are stuck in sin feeling no guilt, but some people around us see it as sin, and almost cant see why. ( sorry for some of my spelling errors, im using my zune)

Unknown said...

God will only stand in the way of sin for those who trust him to be there. Otherwise, those who don't trust in him, will ignorantly push him aside without a second thought because there flesh refuses to accept the deity of Christ. Therefore, those people who don't trust in God, are free from guilt, but not from enternal punishment.

Get Reformed Commentaries in your Inbox

Join others who want to grow spiritually through Bible Study lessons, direct from Mike.